Time Out Against Domestic Violence Project (“Time Out”) is a simple but effective outreach project created in 2014 by the Board of Directors and advocates at St. Martha’s Hall. It is a free project aimed at high school students, athletes, and their basketball coaches to raise awareness about domestic and dating violence and how to prevent it.
All high school basketball teams, male and female are eligible to participate. Last year we had 33 Teams, 438 Players and 117 Coaches taking a Time Out to help stop domestic and dating violence.
The Time Out Against Domestic/Dating Violence Program® has 4 simple parts:
- A scheduled game is designated by the AD or Basketball Coach as the “Time Out” designated game. A provided PSA announcement is read at a timeout or half-time at this game.
- A brief, age-appropriate informational video is shown discussing the harmful effects of domestic and dating violence (before or after a practice; prior to the game).
- Pledge forms are read and signed by players, managers and coaches.
- Team players wear and keep purple Time Out socks provided by St. Martha’s Hall during the game mentioned above. Purple is the Domestic Violence Awareness color.
Time Out occurs during the men’s and women’s basketball season in January and February. February is also Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month.
- Friday, December 9th@ Winfield (3920 E. Hwy. 47, 63389) 5:30pm– Varsity Girls; 7:00pm– Varsity Boys: Winfield R-IV High School vs. Wellsville-Middletown High School
- Tuesday, January 10th@ DeSmet Jesuit (233 N. New Ballas, 63141) 7:00pm– Varsity Boys: DeSmet Jesuit High School vs. Cape Girardeau Central High School
- Tuesday, January 24th@ Vashon High School (3035 Cass Ave, 63106) 4:30pm– Varsity Girls: Sumner High School vs. Collegiate School of Medicine and Bioscience
- Tuesday, January 31st @ Nerinx Hall (530 East Lockwood, 63119) 4:30pm– Junior Varsity; 6:00pm– Varsity vs. Mehlville High School
- Tuesday, January 31st @ Rosati-Kain High School (4389 Lindell Blvd., 63108) 4:30pm– Junior Varsity; 6:00pm- Varsity vs. McKinley
- Tuesday, February 7th@ St. Mary’s (4701 S. Grand, 63111) 6:45pm– Varsity Boys: St. Mary’s High School vs. Maplewood-Richmond Heights
- Thursday, February 16th@ Visitation Academy (3020 N. Ballas, 63131) 5:00pm– Varsity Girls: Visitation Academy vs. St. Joseph’s Academy
- Tuesday, February 21st @ St. John Vianney High School (1311 S. Kirkwood Rd., 63122) 6:30pm- Varsity Boys: St. John Vianney High School vs. St. Francis Borgia Regional High School
Unfortunately, domestic and dating violence is prevalent in our society. A sports platform with coaches participating is an ideal way to reach young people and to educate them about healthy, respectful relationships.