Volunteer with Saint Martha's
We can always use your time, your talents, and your heart. Our volunteers are true gifts, supporting our staff and serving women and children in need.
There are many ways to help the women and children of Saint Martha’s, and each is essential to our operation.
Provide care and teaching assistance to children at our shelter. Volunteers must be 18+ and have previous experience working with children.
If you have a special skill you would like to offer our residents – yoga, massage therapy, art, résumé writing, etc. – our Volunteer Coordinator would be happy to discuss possibilities with you.
There is always office work to do at the shelter, including picking up donations, organizing large donations as they arrive, etc.
Court Watch Project sends trained volunteer monitors to observe civil domestic violence proceedings in the St. Louis Circuit Courts. The goal is to make the judicial system more effective and responsive to domestic violence cases.
We have high standards when it comes to the work that we do, including our volunteer program. You will be working with a vulnerable population and for that reason we have a rigorous volunteer screening and training process. Our goal is to ensure that you are well equipped to work with our residents and that you feel comfortable and confident working independently.
We also take our volunteer training a step further by providing you with domestic violence awareness training. We consider ourselves a social justice organization, not a social service organization. We want to bring violence against women to the forefront of people’s minds and we do this by our community awareness education presentations. You will receive this presentation along with a volunteer training so you too can work to bring awareness to your community.
If you want to join in the movement to end violence against women then we want to speak with you!
Our expectations are as follows:
- 18+ years old
- 1 year commitment to volunteering at least once per month for at least two hours
- Phone-screening with Volunteer Coordinator
- Fill out our online application (below)
- Face-to-face interview with Volunteer Coordinator
- Background check with Family Care Safety Registry (paid for by volunteer) Online registration is $15.25 ($14 one-time fee and $1.25 processing fee)
- Domestic Violence & Volunteer Group Training at St. Martha’s Hall (4 hrs)- must sign confidentiality agreement
- Protecting God’s Children Child Sexual Abuse Prevention & Detection Training (3 hrs). Register for training.